Sample Letter of Intent In New York

by Sandra Foyt on June 21, 2008

in Home School NY

Homeschooling is a decision that we make each year.

In New York, it’s not really a choice.  You have to send a Letter of Intent by July 1st as stated in Part 100.10 of the Regulations of the Commisioner of Education.

This first homeschooling year has been a bit of a roller coaster ride as we discovered what worked, and what didn’t work for us.   Overall, it’s been a fun ride, and we’re doing it again.

Here is our generic Letter of Intent sample:

Parents’ Names

Address

June 20, 2008

Re: Notice of Intent to Homeschool

Homeschool Coordinator

School District Administration Address

Dear Sir/Madam:

We intend to homeschool our son/daughter, ____________, who will be entering 3rd grade, for the 2008-2009 academic year.

We are sending this letter of intent as required of Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education.

For your records, the student is:

Name of Student

Address

Address

Phone Number

Email: ___________________

Sincerely,

Sandra Foyt

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Noelle DePaula March 13, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Hello! I enjoyed looking over your site this evening. I’m considering homeschooling my son next September, when he will be entering the 6th grade. In the past I have homeschooled in California, but that was seven years ago and I have never done it in New York. I have used the Calvert School program and the K-12 program, and may use K-12 again. I’d appreciate any comments or advice from parents homeschooling in New York. I’m located in Brooklyn. Thanks! NOELLE DePAULA

The Happy Wife/Danielle June 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I know you originally posted this 2 years ago, but I wanted to make a note about the “deadline” to file the Letter of intent in NYS. The regulations state that it is due July 1st, OR within 2 weeks of deciding to homeschool. Since this is a decision that we have to make every year, it is quite possible for a parent to have not yet decided by July 1st, even if they have homeschooled in the previous years. While, I do choose to file by July 1st, it is not the worst thing if you miss that date, because you could technically wait until 2 weeks after the school year begins to file it.
.-= The Happy Wife/Danielle´s last blog ..Encouraging kids to read in the summer =-.

diane diaz January 16, 2011 at 3:34 am

Nice sample letter you have here,thanks for sharing.This will be a very useful tool for people who plans to write someone.
diane diaz´s last blog post ..Work Reference Letter

KATHY November 21, 2011 at 6:11 am

I have been considering homeschooling my daughter. Unfortunately, I have just read there is a deadline for me to inform the school of this. I thought I could start at any point during the school year. Is there any way around that? My daughter is having alot of emotional and physical issues due to the anxiety caused by her fellow students. My daughter usually gets high honor roll, but now she is not even passing some of her classes. I had a similar problem when my son was in the middle school. He started having bad headaches, and stomach problems due to the stress.

I would appreciate any advice concerning this matter.

Thanks,
Kathy

Jillian November 28, 2011 at 1:51 am

Kathy, I am right there with you. Our daughter is 6 and has attended a small Catholic school for grade K and now part of first grade. Like my husband did growing up, she is showing signs of severe anxiety and is also not passing the grade. She has no problem with comprehension but in class she seems to just shut down. I am hoping to take her out off school and begin at home after Christmas break. Hug and kiss your kids lots because I am finding out that we are not alone and we can absolutely do what is necessary for our children. Best of luck to you!

Kelli December 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the letter. We also have been dealing with severe anxiety issues with my son at school. It reached critical this past week and we decided enough was enough. We are considering using the Switched-On program…anyone here familiar with that? Merry Christmas and thank you again!

Kelli

Safiye January 3, 2012 at 5:17 am

Hello,
Kathy had asked if you can begin homeschooling in the middle of a school year. The answer is absolutely YES! I did it and so can you. Please make sure you send the 1st IHIP letter/form certified so you know that they received it. We began our grade from that point on. You also can begin your homeschooling journey anytime time of the year as long as you comply to the New York State rules and regulations. Although we live in the State that has the strictest requirements, it is not as scary as it appears. Anyway, I hope this information helps.

Anne Zubrick February 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I am thinking of home school our daughter she is 10. Zoe has been in a montessori school since she was 3. I am not currently happy with the social behaviors at the school. I don’t know if taking her out of the private school setting is the answer. I want her to be happy.

liz May 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hello,
I am new to homeschooling and my son will be 5 soon.
I do not know where to start. Letters on intent still need to be in by July 1st?
This is now 2012 and I want to make sure im doing the right thing.
Also do you need your home set up a certain way? I am planning to send him to a christian school as soon as we are settled in our new state. I just didnt want him to enroll in a school just to have to transfer out.
thank you for any info! We are currently in NY state.

janine May 25, 2012 at 10:22 pm

hi i homeschool my son he’s going into the first grade but right now im living in sc…I’m moving to new york my hometown…do you need to register your kids with the state before july 1st? as i’m not moving back until october sometime …can someone help with any info? is new york state strict and what does it require? thank you so much for any information

don-andrew dwyer June 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi Sandra,

I wanted to sign up to receive free articles from On Living By Learning by Email. Apparently, that link is broken.

Don-Andrew

Keri Johnson July 10, 2012 at 9:16 am

@ Liz, in the State of NY you do not have to do anything for your son at this time. You do not legally have to let the state know or report anything to them for his education until he is 6 years old.

Taylor September 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm

@ Taylor, When the letter of intent is received, the children are legally allowed to not go to school anymore right, Because by then they are already considered home schooled?
Taylor´s last blog post ..What’s your passion? Find a niche for your blog that matters

{ 1 trackback }